++44 (0) 20 3586 4050

++44 (0) 75 8293 2830


79 College Road


Middlesex, HA1 1BD

United Kingdom

Legal services with a personal touch

Success comes with client satisfaction

Knowledge comes with experience...and Aschfords Law has it in abundance

Settlement and British Citizenship


You may be eligible to apply to settle permanently in the UK if you are a migrant from outside the EEA and the U.K. You may be able to apply for permission to settle here after you have lived legally in the UK for a certain length of time. This is known as 'indefinite leave to remain’. If you have the indefinite leave to remain on your passport, you are eligible to apply for naturalisation if you have stayed in the UK for five continuous years. We can assist you with your application for Naturalisation to become a British citizen.


Depending on your current citizenship or nationality, you may be able to apply in several ways. We can also assist you with your application for Naturalisation to be able to apply for a British passport.
The forms of nationality are:

  • • British citizenship
  • • British overseas citizenship
  • • British overseas territories citizenship
  • • British national (overseas)
  • • British protected person
  • • British subject

Please contact us for further information


There are 54 countries that are members of the Commonwealth Nations. These are:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Dominica, Fiji, The Gambia, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, The Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papa New Guinea, Rwanda, St Christopher and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, United Kingdom, Uganda, Vanuatu and Zambia.

You may have the right to abode in the UK if one of you parents was still a commonwealth citizen after 13 December 1982.

In addition, if you are a woman who is a member of a Commonwealth Nation and is or has been married to a British citizen before 1 January 1983, you may have the right to abode in the UK. If you are a child of such a mother then you may have the right to abode in the UK.

Furthermore, there may be other routes available for an individual who is a member of a commonwealth nation and who has ancestral routes to the UK. Please contact us for guidance and assistance on the abovementioned matters.

Please contact us today for further advice and assistance 020 3586 4050, 0758293 2830 or email info@aschfordslaw.com

Back to the top

Authorised and Regulated by Solicitors Regulation Authority

(SRA number:563906)

Registration number: 0C367797