++44 (0) 20 3586 4050

++44 (0) 75 8293 2830


79 College Road


Middlesex, HA1 1BD

United Kingdom

Legal services with a personal touch

Success comes with client satisfaction

Knowledge comes with experience...and Aschfords Law has it in abundance

UK Immigration

Family Members


Under the Immigration law in the U.K, If you would like to get married or register a civil partnership in the United Kingdom, and if you or your partner are from outside the U.K, we can advise you with the application and the procedure for marriage in the United Kingdom. We can assist you if you are coming for a short visit to get married in the U.K


If you are already married or in civil partnership and over 18, you may wish to come or stay in the United Kingdom as the husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a person settled here or a migrant worker/student.

It is important to note that your partner cannot be related to you, UK law prohibits relationships between siblings and other relatives. For this application, you would have show that you have met your partner in person. In addition, for your application to succeed you need to prove that you relationship is a genuine and subsisting, you must intend to stay with your partner permanently in the UK. Immigration law in the UK does not allow for marriages based on convenience. Furthermore, an individual has to meet the financial and the English Language requirements for his or her application to be successful. If you would like to extend your stay in the UK, you must meet all the criteria abovementioned and the suitability requirement. We are happy to assist you in meeting these requirements and answering any questions you may have on this matter.

You should be aware that it is your responsibility to inform the Home Office if your relationship ends.


We understand that some individuals have been victims of forced marriage or domestic violence by their partner, civil partners, or other family member upon their arrival to the United Kingdom. For this application to be successful, you need to show that you have been a partner of a settled person or British citizen. UK Immigration law requires you to show that your relationship has broken permanently due to domestic violence. Our firm aims to guide, support and advise you in relation to your immigration status with compassion and sympathy.


We have a very sympathetic approach where children and elderly family members are concerned and appreciate that it can be a very difficult and emotional time if they are not with you in the U.K. to be able to look after them. If you are seeking an expert U.K immigration lawyer in London then we can assist you with our expertise and high standard of service.


We are able to assist you to bring your children, including adopted children, to the United Kingdom if you are a British citizen or you have temporary or permanent permission to live here. For this application you will need to show that your child or children are under the age of 18. Furthermore, UK immigration law states that a child cannot be married or in a civil partnership and if applying under this category. It is important to note that your child must not have formed his own independent family unit and he or she must not be leading an independent lifestyle. We are happy to assist you and your child on this matter and we look forward to reuniting your family together.


In addition, you may wish that your parent(s), grandparent(s) or other elderly dependant who is overseas to come and stay in the UK with you. We understand that the adult dependant may need long term personal care for everyday tasks, or the medical care that they need may not be available in the country that they are in, or you may not be able to afford to pay the medical expenses in the country that they are in. We are able to guide, support and assist you in submitting application/representation with the Home Office or the British High Commission in your country.

Please contact us today for further advice and assistance 020 3586 4050, 0758293 2830 or email info@aschfordslaw.com

Back to the top

Authorised and Regulated by Solicitors Regulation Authority

(SRA number:563906)

Registration number: 0C367797